Saturday, April 25, 2009

3 years


Today marks 3 years since my last day oncampus as a student of CMU. Three years ago my plans were to work my butt off for the 4-day weekend and finish my heart-attack of a paper, attend a wedding shower, and somehow write and edit a monstrous amount of pages in a ridiculous amount of time.

But I woke up to a policeman practically beating my door down. And down with the door came news of my dad's sudden death.

Home I went. Adrift I went. Moved ahead with plans to travel and study in China for 6 months that fall. And returned again to finish that dratted paper, finally. Before the finish, I began to work at Cedar Campus as an intern. I ended up joining staff later and staying through two summers. It was a good place to heal, apart from the many memories left behind in my hometown.

A delightful detour to Africa and Europe, then I came back to this place. This house where my father lived the last 22 years of his life.

After a couple months of confusion about immediate future (thank you economic depression) I'm feeling back. I've got a job, a couple friends nearby, family, and it's finally spring in this place!

One little life, but God's brought me through a lot. There's still life after loved ones depart. I still miss him most days, even wonder if that car outside is him getting home; but missing 'em is one of the proofs that you love 'em isn't it?

Older and wiser, I hope. Wonder what's going to be coming around the corner?


Bring it!

4 comments:

Kimmee said...

I love you.

Laura said...

Yours is a testimony to God's faithfulness, Sarah. That we can continue to pursue life with eagerness in the midst of and after suffering is beautiful, surely it's because our trust is well placed for the future: For "I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him for that day" (2 Tim. 12). You are an encouragement to me, my dear friend.

Laura said...

This is another Laura commenting--your fellow China buddy. I loved reading your post and about what He is doing in your life.

Sarahhh said...

Thanks guys.

I think you're pretty awesome too.

And I wish I could give each of you a big hug!